Earthquake Network is the most comprehensive app on earthquakes and the only working app with real time alerts.
- Real time detection of earthquakes using networks of smartphones (only strong earthquakes)
- Earthquake warning seconds in advance (for people living not too close to the epicentre)
- User's reports on felt earthquakes
- Automatic e-mails and SMS with your coordinates sent when an earthquake is detected in real time
- Earthquake data from national and international seismic networks
- Chatrooms for exchanging info during an earthquake emergency
- Earthquake notifications through voice synthesizer (only PRO version)
- Earthquake warning in case of vibrations detected by your smartphone (only PRO version)
- NEW: earthquake visualization with augmented reality
The Earthquake Network research project (http://www.earthquakenetwork.it) aims at developing a smartphone-based early warning system able to detect earthquakes in real time and to alert the population in advance. Smartphones are able to detect earthquakes thanks to the accelerometer on-board each device. When an earthquake is detected, users with the application installed are immediatly alerted. Since earthquake waves travel at a finite speed (from 5 to 10 km/s) it is possible to alert the population not yet reached by the damaging waves of the earthquake. For the scientific details about the project please refer to the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America journal at http://goo.gl/lFBLYm
The Earthquake Network app allows you to receive the real time alerts of the earthquakes detected by the network, to manually report an earthquake you felt and to chat with other people during an earthquake emergency. When an earthquake is detected in real time near your location, the app can send a automatic SMS and e-mails to a list of contacts with your precise position in space. This can be useful for rescuing without the need of user interaction with the app. You can also send a request of help or you can say that you are fine with just one click. The app also shows information on the earthquakes detected by the national and international seismic networks.
Note that the information on earthquakes detected by national and international seismic networks is usually published with a delay ranging from a few minutes to many hours, depending on the seismic network.