“Getting the right information to the right people at the right time in the right way!”
The Princeton Timeline aims to let members of the Princeton community see everything they are supposed to do, and anything they might want to do, at Princeton on any given day of the year. It does this by consolidating event, activity and announcement information from a variety of University sources, including an information publishing system built into the Timeline itself.
The Princeton Timeline was developed in response to concerns expressed by students and administrators regarding effective communication. Students felt that they were being spammed by administrator emails, administrators felt that their important messages were being ignored by students. The goal of the Timeline, quoted above, is both simple and ambitious. By “right information” we mean information that is pertinent and relevant, and by “right people” we mean the people for whom the information is pertinent and relevant. By “right way”, we mean getting the information to people in ways that they prefer – not just through email, but through web sites and through mechanisms that they have designated, such as text messages, calendar placements, and social media postings.
Based on who you are, Timeline allows you to:
• Export your personal Timeline Calendar to you Google or Exchange/Office365 Calendar - this includes courses or precepts you are taking or teaching.
• See your Office Hours (WASS/WASE) appointments.
• See all your Blackboard announcements and due dates in one place.
• Publish Events to your Drupal Website.
• Post announcements to groups over which you have posting rights.
• Publicize events to the university community through the Timeline Publication System.
• Learn about upcoming lectures, seminars, social events, sporting events, etc.
• And much more...