Oh Hell! is the world's most popular trick-taking card game in which the object is to take exactly the number of tricks bid. Also knows as Contract Whist, Oh Well!, German Bridge, Blackout or Up and Down the River.
The aim of the game is to score points by winning tricks (each trick scores one point) and by correctly predicting how many tricks you will win each round (this scores 10 points per round). The winner of the game is the player with the most points after a fixed number of rounds.
The rules of play are those of standard trick-taking games. A card is beaten by a higher card of the same suit or any trump card. When a card is played, the other players must follow suit (play a card of the same suit) if possible. If they do not hold any cards of the leading suit, they may choose to trump by playing any trump card to win, or throw away by playing any non-trump card to lose.
Our version uses 'standard' rules, but a few are optional to appeal to everyone's preferred way of playing oh hell:
- You can set the 'screw the dealer' rule to be on or off
- You can set nil bids to only receive 5 and not 10 bonus points if the contract is met
- You can set the trump suit to be determined by the next card or to alternate
- You can set the number of players to between 3 and 7
- You can play 4 types of game; up, down, up and down or down and up
- You can set the AI level to be either easy, or hard for a bigger challenge
A fast and fun card game for all levels of players!