Located at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., the 927th is the Premier Air Force Reserve Command associate wing. The mission of the 927th ARW is to provide a dedicated and prepared Total Force Team to fly, fight and win in air, space and cyberspace. The 927th ARW consists of 3 groups and 10 subordinate units including; a flying squadron, aeromedical evacuation squadron, security forces squadron, logistical readiness squadron, force support squadron, aeromedical staging squadron, aircraft maintenance squadron, maintenance squadron, maintenance operations flight, aerospace medicine squadron and an operational support flight.
The 927th ARW directly supports the totally integrated Air Force mission by way of extending the global reach of United States air power through mission ready personnel and equipment while providing global air refueling and airlift operations.
Lineage of the 927th ARW dates back to Jan. 15, 1963, when it was activated as the 927th Troop Carrier Group, Medium, and organized into the Air Force Reserve on Feb. 11, 1963. One of the wing's components, the 63rd Air Refueling Squadron, traces its lineage back to World War II. During 1942, the 63rd Troop Carrier Squadron was constituted and deployed with C-47 aircraft to the Pacific to become an active participant in the war by making major contributions delivering airborne troops, air re-supply of forces and subsequent aerial logistic support. The 927TCG was re-designated the 927th Tactical Airlift Group in 1967 and flew C-119 aircraft until 1969. The 927TAG was re-designated the 927th Tactical Air Support Group on June 18, 1969, and flew U-3 aircraft until 1971. The 927TASG was re-designated the 927th Tactical Airlift Group on June 29, 1971, and flew C-130 aircraft. During 1992, the unit converted to KC-135 aircraft and was re-designated the 927th Air Refueling Group until Oct. 1, 1994, when the unit was re-designated as the 927th ARW. The 927th ARW transferred from Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Mich., to MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., in April 2008.