Learn about the Drake Equation and easily perform beautiful thought experiments with this one-of-a-kind visual tool. DrakeEQ is both educational and entertaining.
This tool, like the equation itself, is designed to stimulate your curiosity in the answer to the questions: Are we alone? Where is everybody?
Are we alone?:
DrakeEQ HD computes/displays civilization count and draws them to the display.
Where is everybody?:
DrakeEQ HD approaches the Fermi Paradox by positioning the civilizations in 3D space and computing the average distances between them.
50% off pricing for enrollees of the Volume Purchase Program for Education. Perfect for Astronomy students!
DrakeEQ HD features:
• Version 5.0 has been optimized for iOS 7! Works great on iOS 6 too!
• Enter parameter values with keyboard or use pop ups to fine-tune results
• Run a configurable passage of time simulation and watch colonies expand and contract
• Activate a quasar from the Milky Way's black hole, Sagittarius-A*
• Highlight the solar system
• Display average distance between civilizations
• Change star system colors
• Tweet results!
• Ideal thought experiment tool!
The Drake equation states that:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible
R* = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.
Drake equation. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
See our iPhone version too!
**We're celebrating 7 years on the App Store. Thanks for all your support!!**
Follow us on Twitter for update information @onomaly