The app is NOT entirely free; however, the free version has no ads and offers unlimited study for hiragana, katakana, radicals and beginner kanji. Kanji search and ranking features are also completely unrestricted. The one-time upgrade unlocks the remaining kanji study groups and allows you to create your own custom sets. It also supports the continued development of this project.
★ Quick kanji lookup
• Search over 6000 kanji using readings, radicals, stroke counts, levels and more all in one text field.
• Combine any number of radicals and see them highlighted in the results.
• Add search results to a custom group to, for example, study multiple grade levels.
★ Detailed kanji info
• View animated strokes, readings and meanings as well as your study time and quiz stats.
• See a breakdown of the radicals found within each kanji.
• Check out example words (grouped by the kanji readings), sentences and names.
• Customize to hide meanings, collapse sections, show romaji and more.
• Explore the kanji used within each of the examples and use the breadcrumbs to navigate back.
★ Flashcard study
• Drill characters in manageable sized sets.
• View stroke animations and toggle the visibility of readings and associated meanings.
• Tap a reading to show a list of example words that use that reading.
• Swipe to quickly launch writing practice and view additional information.
• Assign study ratings which allows you to filter kanji as you learn them.
★ Multi-choice quizzes
• Customize quizzes to show either readings, associated meanings, example words or sentences.
• Example words can selected from JLPT and common vocab, as well as your favorited examples.
• Quiz timer and distractors adapt based on previous quiz results.
• Further customize with options to repeat wrong answers, remove the timer, pause after answering and more.
★ Writing challenges
• Improve your kanji recognition by challenging yourself to recall and draw the characters.
• Learn the correct stroke order using the finely-tuned stroke detection algorithm.
• Strokes will snap into place when correctly drawn and hints will appear if you are struggling.
• Use the self-check mode to compare your drawing attempts with the correct answer.
★ Study kanji grouped by JLPT levels, Jouyou grades or Kanji Kentei levels.
★ Send custom study reminders when you haven't studied.
★ Read Japanese text with text-to-speech audio support.
★ Add shortcuts to your home screen to study a particular set.
★ Use the rankings screen to make custom sets based on study stats.
★ Favorite kanji, radicals and examples for referencing later.
★ Save progress using Google Drive or local storage.
★ Customize MANY additional settings.
- In-app Purchase (purchase upgrade)
- External Drive (store backup files)
- Install Shortcuts (add home screen shortcuts)
- Run at startup (reschedule notifications)
- Full network access (send analytics)
There is a volunteer translation project for the app interface and content. If you would like to help, please let me know!