While there are several different landscape design styles that are quite popular and used a lot in most landscaping and garden designs, they are not limited to a strict and selected list of types and themes. Still, most folks try to at least start with a theme that will match their home style and geographic area. And while we will take a look at those in this list, you still might want to see pictures of landscaping and garden styles just to get an idea of the possible types you can use.
Again, keep in mind that the following list of design types is only a partial list of the most commonly used in most gardens and landscape design. And while the foundation of these design styles is commonly named according to geographic location or home style, the end product is limited only to the imagination.
- Small Residential Grounds
- Estate or Plantation Grounds (including a farm where the primary significance is as a landscape design and not as historic agriculture)
- Arboreta, Botanical, and Display Gardens
- Zoological Gardens and Parks
- Monuments and Memorial Grounds
- Public Spaces
- Campus and Institutional Grounds
- City Planning commercial and industrial grounds and parks
- Parks (local, State, and national) and Camp Grounds
- Battlefield Parks and other Commemorative Parks
- Bodies of Water and Fountains