• Documents photos of cool shadows children create or find in photo albums
• Gives prompts for shadow scavenger hunts
• Creates a shadow matching game for friends to play
• Aligns with research-based early science learning trajectories
• No in-app purchases
• No advertising
This app is designed for children to to strengthen their science investigation skills and explore the concepts of shadows as they:
• Understand that a shadow is seen when a light shines on a surface and an object blocks some of that light.
• Identify objects that are blocking light and their shadows.
• Understand that shadows can be made using different sources of light, including natural lights (like the sun) and those made by people (like lamps and flashlights).
• Describe how the shape of a shadow changes when a light source shines on different sides of an object.
• Observe how a shadow is different when cast on one surface or multiple surfaces.
• Understand that a shadow’s size changes when the distance between the light source and an object changes.
• Understand how a shadow’s length and shape change when the position or angle of the light source changes.
• Make predictions and carry out experiments about how a shadow will change when the light source's distance, position, or angle change.
The Shadows Journal and the entire Shadows curriculum supplement from Early Science with Nico & Nor™ was rigorously researched and developed specifically for preschool classroom use. The Shadows unit contains two apps: Shadow Play and the Shadows Journal. In Shadow Play, children help put on a shadow theater show and discover how shadows change location, size, and shape.
Each Early Science with Nico & Nor curriculum supplement combines traditional classroom activities with digital learning to promote young children’s engagement with age-appropriate science practices and concepts during circle time, learning centers, read-aloud book sessions, snack time, and outdoor play!
About First 8 Studios at WGBH
WGBH Educational Foundation has pioneered children's educational media for decades. First 8 Studios at WGBH is dedicated to carrying this pioneering spirit into the digital, mobile world. First 8 Studios contributes to research by creating mobile experiences to support the healthy growth of children from birth through age 8. At the heart of this work is a commitment to ongoing collaborations with teachers, parents, pediatricians, education researchers, and children to give them a voice in the digital media development process. You'll find evidence of the big hearts and little fingerprints of our partners throughout each Nico & Nor experience.
Early Science with Nico & Nor™ and the characters and related indicia are trademarks of First 8 Studios @WGBH. ™/© 2017 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
This Early Science with Nico & Nor™ app was produced by WGBH Digital in Boston.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL-1316550. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NSF.