You are an analog Photographer ?
Then you will like this App ! With it you can measure the shutter speed of your cameras - just with your iPhone !
When you're shooting film, you often work with old, fully mechanical cameras. Such cameras often lack in accuracy with their shutter speeds.
This App gives you the opportunity to measure the shutter speeds of your cameras to check if they are still correct.
And this is how it works:
- First, record the shutter release sound of your camera
- The waveform of this sound is presented on the screen
- With the two-Finger-Gesture you can zoom into the signal to enlarge it
- Eventually, you will see two "Peaks", one indicating the opening and the closing of the shutter
- With the to knobs below the waveform you can measure the time between the two peaks !
- Additionally, the app shows you the deviation from the target-value, measured in thirds of a f-stop. This way, you immediately see how you have to compensate for incorrect shutter speeds !
The App also offers the possibility of Adding and Saving different cameras. This way, you can measure the shutter speeds of different cameras and save the data to your iPhone.
In the end, the App generates a table with all the data at a look !
If you want to do more accurate measurements, even at faster speeds, then you should take a look at the additional "Fototransistor Plug"-extension. This is a small plug which you can attach to the headphone jack of your iPhone. It contains a small phototransistor, which converts light into a electrical signal. Simply attach the plug to your iPhone and you can measure the actual light passing though your camera. Just hold your camera against a bright light source, open the camera back and position the fototransistor-plug behind it (like seen in the picture).
Where do you get such a plug ? You can buy it via eBay: Just search for "shutter tester" or search for the seller named "photoplug".