The "Voice Meter Pro" app for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, is a simple, but effective app that helps children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD's), voice disorders, or any other child (or adult) monitor the volume of their own voice in a Fun and Engaging way.
Children with Asperger’s and other ASD’s often have difficulties producing the appropriate voice volume in different settings. Some children on the autism spectrum speak too quietly. Others speak too loudly. Still others do not compensate adequately for the social milieu or ambient noise level.
Understanding abstract concepts, such as the volume of one’s voice, can be difficult for children with ASD's. It’s well understood that adding a visual component to the otherwise abstract concept can often be very helpful for individuals with ASD.
OK so how does the app work?
Well….if a child is talking to quietly a blue background with a cartoon character struggling to hear is displayed. If a child is talking too loudly the background changes to red and the character puts it’s fingers in its ears. If the volume level is acceptable a green background with a smiling happy character is displayed.
• The on screen “volume thermometer” dynamically displays the volume level as it changes.
• There’s a "Sensitivity" slider so the adult can adjust the volume sensitivity to suit both the user and the setting.
• There’s also a "Dampening" slider. This helps to avoid the meter bouncing around in between words by introducing a slight delay before any movement is shown on the “volume thermometer.
• To give the user total control over the app the Upper and Lower limits of the "Green" (acceptable volume area) can now be adjusted by the user.
• For convenience the app works in both portrait and landscape modes on all the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
We want to make this app the very best it can be and to this end we have included a feedback form inside the app for users to submit any issues or suggestions as to how it can be improved.
Why not download the app and give it a try?...... you might find it a very useful tool.