Apple Watch and Nest Cam, together. What a sight!
Watch Cam lets you monitor all your Nest Cams from the Apple Wwatch or the iOS Widget in a quick and streamlined way.
• From the watch face, tap on the Watch Cam complication to open the app. Swipe left and right to access all your Nest Cams.
• From your iOS device, swipe to the notification center, and see what's on your cameras, all in one place.
• Preview the last event recorded by any of the cameras - you will see the video clip of the event on the watch and the widget.
• View the snapshot made by the camera at the time of opening the watch app or the widget.
• When the app/widget is opened, if there are events less than 1h old, they will be shown. Otherwise, the current snapshot will be shown.
• The app displays how much time has passed since the last event in an easily glanceable format (eg. "12 minutes ago", "3 days ago")
• Tapping on the Event clip in the widget will launch the Nest app, and deep-link right into that event.
• Tapping on the Current Snapshot view in the widget will launch the Nest app, and display the respective camera.
Watch Face Complications can display the following:
• The time since the last recorded event from any of the cameras, and the location where it was recorded.
• Status of all the available cameras - if the camera icon on the complication is bright green, it means that all your cameras are online and streaming. If it is dimmed green, it means that some cameras are offline or not streaming. If it's dark grey, all cameras are offline or not streaming.
Beyond that, you can press the Watch screen firmly for additional functions, like switching between the last recorded event, and the current snap, setting the away status, or turning the camera streaming on and off.
While the app's minimalist looks betray the simplicity of its operation, what they don't show is the amount of planning, design, development and refinement that went into it, ensuring it becomes something that is enjoyable to use and experience.
The goal was to make a product that would feel like it truly belongs to the Nest ecosystem, and that would not look out of place next to one of the apps bundled with the Apple Watch. A tall order, but in the end, delivered - the app has been thoroughly reviewed, and approved by Nest Labs.
Please Note: Watch Cam does not collect any of your data. Your login information, camera feeds, and any activity - all of it flows exclusively between your watch, your cameras, and Nest Labs. Author of Watch Cam has no access to any of it, at any point.