As well as being able to 'checkin' your position when it suits, there is an auto-checkin option which lets Yachtie keep your friends updated while you get on with having fun. And because you have control over how often and how accurate your position updates are, it's kind on your battery too.
Your checkins build into a trip log, complete with trip notes, distance travelled each trip and a route map which you can share with friends.
Finally, the Yachtie broadcast system makes it simple to stay in touch with your family, friends, fleet, yacht club or owners association. It's like VHF, only social - and because it's designed for sailors, it's much kinder to your battery and data plan than other social or instant messaging apps.
• Find out where your boating friends and family are
• Calculate distance to your friends in Km, Miles or Nautical Miles
• Bookmark and search for your Yachtie friends
• Single click manual position checkin and optional Auto Checkin
• View and share your track with your friends
• You can make your checkins private so only people in the same group as you can see you.
• Kind to your battery and data plan
• Stay in touch with the battery friendly Yachtie broadcast system
Yachtie needs an active data connection (e.g. 3G/Edge/GSM/WiFi) to check in and receive position updates from other Yachties. iPhones and iPad 3G are ideal.
WiFi only devices (e.g. iPad Wifi and iPod Touch) are great for tracking your boating friends and family from home, however WiFi hotspot coverage is limited on the water unless you connect your WiFi device to your iPhone Personal Hotspot (or perhaps a 3G wireless dongle) for best internet coverage when sailing.
IMPORTANT BUT BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS NOTICES
Yachtie is only as accurate as the information it gets from other Yachtie users. It does not (and cannot) guarantee the information is complete or accurate, and not all boats around you will be Yachtie users. By purchasing this app, you therefore agree that you will not use Yachtie for navigation or as a replacement for AIS, official safety aids or common sense.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.